Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Loving kindness


During the meditation of Loving Kindness Practice I learned something new. The new thing that I learned was that I was able to picture a loved one who was suffering and take in there suffering, according to the practice and make their suffering dissolve with my breath as I exhale. That experience made me feel useful, since every time that I hear about this loved one and their suffering I become frustrated and powerless, with this new meditation practice makes me part of intervention that this person needs.

The mental workout for me is a way to train the mind on focusing on certain things and forcing it through meditation to be exercised. Sometimes, we tend to forget the mind, as well as our bodies, need to exercise frequently. Therefore, we need to continue to challenge our mind, and quiet the chattering in our minds, and allow them to move beyond their day-to-day routines and experience new things. Some of the benefits, according to the research, are that you are better able to focus, and better connect with the universe and everyone in it.


 

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you had that experience. I found that part of the practice to be difficult to visualize. I enjoyed sending loving thoughts to someone close to me, but to breath in another person's suffering was hard. What do I do with it once I breath it in?

    I do find myself thinking more in terms of loving-kindness since we started this class and these practices. I notice I feel more optimistic and more calm all at the same time.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comments about how you were able to see a loved one who was suffering in your meditation and that you felt useful. I also found that this meditation was helpful in providing some relief in my frustration with feeling helpless to help my son. As a parent I want to fix their problems and when I can't seem to help in any way it is frustrating. Offering them Loving Kindness thoughts was beneficial to myself. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete