Monday, April 4, 2011

Journey On - Meditation Technique

I often meditate. However, my way to meditate usually deals around music. I tend to listen to music and get lost in my thoughts and then begin my meditation mode. My meditation usually turns into a conversation with god and the universe.
However, I found it difficult to let go of my thoughts as I listen to the speaker in the audio track. Instead of trying to let go of everything, I kept focusing on his voice and his demands. I actually felt very distracted because his voice seemed very contrived and fake. I kept trying to tune him out and just focus on the background music. However, it was a bit difficult. Eventually, I was able to let go and just tuned him out altogether.
I am familiar with meditation and relaxation techniques, so I was able to eventually just relax. I understand this technique, but it has never really worked for me. This leads me to believe that it might be difficult for me to become a victim to the power of suggestion. 
The quickest method to meditate and to be able to recharge our batteries is the morning shower. When you are in the shower in the morning, before you finish and begin your day, take a minute a day to just focus on the water hitting your head. Don’t think on anything else, just feel the warmth of the water, and feel it running from the top of your head all the way to the bottom of your feet. Eventually, you can increase to two minutes and so on, until you can do this for five minutes. It is extremely important to take at least one minute of the day just for yourself. I consider this a gift to us.



2 comments:

  1. There are many different types of meditation and some work for me and others not so much. In the beginning of my work with meditation I found the guided meditations (as was this relaxation exercise) was helpful. As I have progressed further, I find the guided ones more of a distraction than being helpful. I continue to use them if I find myself struggling to relax or need to just sit and follow someone else.
    I have found that sitting with soothing music or listening to the wind or ocean, with a candle, and leading my meditation with breathe work helps me to calm my mind and body. Learning to be mindful in my daily life has helped me to remain peaceful even during times of stress. I can find peace even washing the dishes now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your ability to know what works for you is the point. You have been able to develop relaxation techniques that effectively focus your energy and emotions... good job!

    ReplyDelete