Monday, May 2, 2011

Loving Kindness & Integral Assessment

The universal loving kindness meditation is a meditation exercise that I enjoyed doing the most. The meditation exercise begins with closing your eyes for a few minutes and easing into the natural rhythm of your mind and body. After you are able to connect your mind and body, you must repeat four different phrases for 10 minutes. The phrases deal with wishing “all individuals” well, good health, happiness and wholeness, by allowing the person meditating to become the tool that helps them achieve these goals.

Painting by Alex Grey
I do not know why, but I feel much empowered when I am able to see another person in my mind and be present with him/her. As Dacher indicates, this feeling makes me feel as one with another person. This is the opportunity that I have to connect with someone other than me, especially when people are going through so many things in life. For example, I remember those mothers and fathers who may have lost a child, those husbands or wives who have lost their significant other, those children who are now orphans.  I even ask for those who have no one next to them and feel alone, sad and desperate. I feel those experiences are a healing process for me and make me grow spiritually; and that is a good thing because as Dacher mentions, this is the final leap to personal development.

The integral assessment process helps me to identify urgent areas of distress. This process deals with closing your eyes for a few minutes and easing into the natural rhythm of your mind and body. Through meditation, you learn to calm your mind and begin to analyze the roots of the problems that are causing distress in your system, whether they are psychospiritual, biological, interpersonal or worldly. We learn to focus from healing to the integral development growth process, in order to continue to evolve.

This process allows me to resolve my problems and get the necessary tools available to me to pass through those difficult moments.  For example, this process allows me to surpass the situations that my body goes through and its changes and the relationships that I have with the world and those close to me. The area that I always seem to go back to is my personality and my temperament and how I can better handle it.

One of the things that I have been practicing with my partner is when we have a heated discussion he says I tend to scream. Therefore, I have told him to let me know that I am screaming with a hand gesture so I could lower down my voice, since I may not realize that I am screaming. This is the part of myself no one sees except me, my partner and my family. If I am able to understand myself better and trust these assessments to help me, it will guide me how to complete myself.

Reference:
Dacher, E.S. (2006) Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Basic Health Publications.
Image by Alex Grey.

1 comment:

  1. First let me say that I love the images presented on your post by Alex Grey. Awsome....
    In reading your blog, you helped me to incorporate something within my relationship with my husband. I am very anxious by nature and I must admit that this class has help me to get closer to the "Step in the Right Direction." I have a tendency to not let others talk when I am angry. It becomes a onesided conversation. I try to be conscious of that but when I am angry it is sometimes hard to focus. I will have my family give me a gesture to help remind me that I can't have the entire show and in order to effectively communicate I must listen as well as speak. Thanks for your indirect input. Good luck as you continue to grow...

    ReplyDelete